Thursday, January 18, 2024

Lannorra's Bayou Bliss

Lannorra Sion: Hello and welcome!
Marlon Wayne: Hello, ty
Tutz Zabelin: helloo
Lannorra Sion: while you wait you can take some handouts if you wish, i especially recommend taking the map, they are all on this table near me
Tutz Zabelin: i must start my translator, my english not so good
Marlon Wayne: you have it in suitcase?
Lannorra Sion: your english is better than any other language that I cannot speak LOL
Thirza Ember: hi guys!  The group is just forming at the Clubhouse. There is a lot of lag here.
Lannorra Sion: yes i was worried about that, i see some errors on the map giver
Thirza Ember: it is best if you sit down, and maybe Lannorra the best thing is to not give out any items at all until the server has recovered from our arrival... I'm warning all to lower draw distance and be ready for the sim to be a bit slow
Lannorra Sion: I've never done any load testing here. This is one of the most resource hungry regions, but I was hoping it would be ok. I've had 6 or 7 people at once here
Thirza Ember: it will be ok i'm sure, best is if they just sit in here for a little while, then we can move on, moving is very crashy.
Jessica livestreams Safari trips so you can see real time what it's like
Lots of people on Safari this week! We began as usual at the Clubhouse on OSGrid, where we gather to check on the last-minute details, to friend each other so that anyone new has plenty of people to ask if they need help, and to enjoy a few moments of calm before the storm. With us on this trip was Jessica 'Lifted' Pixel who livestreamed the event - nice to watch in playback, and it's worth following her channel so you can 'ride along' if you can't get inworld to be part of the trip. Jess was a guest on Inworld Review last week, talking about filming in opensim, together fellow guests Petlove Petshop and Marcus Llewellyn - it makes interesting viewing.

Thirza Ember: about 9 more trying to arrive... oh hello Forest's dress!
Forest Azure: lol
Jupiter Rowland: Okay, someone try to sit next to me. Taarna, here's a seat.
Forest Azure: room for 2, here at my dress
Tutz Zabelin: hi Taarna, hi Tosha, James, hi Patnha
Tosha Tyran: before I need a seat, I need my body... got it - body, soul and seat
Taarna.Welles: Hello peeps
Tosha Tyran: Hi Tutz, and James and Taarna and, and, and
Tutz Zabelin: hi Kelso, hi Unadecal
Beth Ghostraven: Hello, all you assorted body parts and pieces of clothing!
Thirza Ember: ok i see maybe 2 more coming... wow Lannorra, 16!
Taarna Welles: <<<<<< APPLAUSE>>>>>>
Lannorra Sion: are we all here? I want to welcome you all to the Phantom Rose Grid!  I am from the Northeast Coast of USA.  I came to Second Life (SL) in 2005 and created Phantom Rose in 2007.  I bought a grandfathered sim from a friend and envisioned a world where Anne Rice's Vampires met Phantom of the Opera.  The Opera House you will find on the Welcome region of this grid, is the same Opera House I built in 2007, with a few changes due to licensing, etc. It was one of the first Opera Houses in Second Life and was very popular for years.  I got my own domain and website, www.phantomrose.com at this time. I rented out gothic castles, had stores of my furniture and accessories, did weddings; my Elvis drive thru elopement was hugely popular.
James Atlloud: wow
Lannorra Sion: I found the Opensim (os) in 2009/2010.  I joined 3rd Rock Grid, Digiworldz, and several other very early grids. I found Inworldz Grid in the OS in 2010 and by 2012 i decided to build a new Phantom Rose there.  I wanted to make a different Phantom Rose, not a replica of it in SL.  So I decided to concentrate more on New Orleans and the Bayou, but still with the supernatural background.
Lannorra Sion: Lannorra Sion: In 2015, I made the painful decision to close down Phantom Rose in SL due to the costs.  I found so much more opportunity for creating in the OS for much less money.   in 2019 I was able to start my own non-commercial grid, Phantom Rose.   It has been amazing to have my own grid.  It is made with Fred Beckhusen's Dreamgrid software and it has been actually very stable ever since opening.  The longest shutdown I have had a is a week here and there due to network issues.  Otherwise, PR is normally up and running 24/7 for the past 4 years.
Thirza Ember: it's pretty supernatural that I can see everyone!... this is your own private grid, right, Lannorra?
Phantom Rose Bayou
Lannorra Sion: Yes, i run it from my own server
Thirza Ember: and in 19 we haven't crashed it - impressive
Lannorra Sion: The grid is made up of the many Dimensions of Phantom Rose.  It has around 21 regions with the equivalent of 83 sims.  And they all can be accessed via the Inter-Dimensional Portal (IDP).  Each region is a different time period and theme.  PR Steam is Steampunk, Victorianish region; my homage to Jules Verne. PR Welcome is very close to my SL Phantom Rose and is also set in a Gothic Victorian-esque theme.
James Atlloud: That's a lot of space!
Lannorra Sion: yes, you can never have too much land LOL
Thirza Ember: and lots to do
Lannorra Sion: PR Medieval is a fantasy/Medieval theme. PR Nature and its companion region, Sanctuary are modern day, as is PR Ocean.  PR Nile is set in 1898 Egypt.  Akrotiri is the starting region of PR Mer Nation, which is a fantasy mermaid/triton role play.  Each themed Region has its own Mer folk area, which are all connected by the Mer Portal.  They all have free gifts, too.  PR Bayou is set in 1798, just before the turn over of New Orleans to the United States.  As you can see, Phantom Rose Grid is a fantasy environment, no matter what "year" in which the region is set.
Lannorra Sion
Lannorra Sion: so I am wearing a typical day dress of the Regency period. We are now at the landing area for PR Bayou.  Bayou is a 2x2 region that has 2 faces.  The one we will explore today, is the City.  This is a re imagining of the French Quarter in New Orleans.  I find making replica's tedious, but I do have several buildings that were inspired by the originals still in New Orleans today.
Lannorra Sion: Please feel free to pick up the information provided about the Grid (especially the map) and the Region as we head thru the Ship Depot.  Also, along the way I will be showing you some of the "Shops" (everything is free)!  Please take the freebies if interested or LM's so you can come back later.
Beth.Ghostraven: Free! That's my favorite price!!!
Lannorra Sion: Next we will go across the street to the Assembly Room!  If you have any questions about the construction or inspiration I used, please feel free to ask.
Forest Azure: /me raises very carefully
Angelic Kisses: waves hello to everyone
Thirza Ember: let's be brave and go walking!
Lannorra Sion: As you can see, this space is already for an afternoon fete or meeting.  Inspired by the many Jane Austin books and movies I have read, it is a genteel place for the City Society.  If you use your camera to cam up, you will see the lovely Tea Garden just above the Assembly Room.
Beth Ghostraven: I love the Regency period
Forest Azure: /me quickly has a seat again
Lannorra Sion: the food, punch etc are all available for free in the shops, I also have period dances that I can set out for special events
Lannorra Sion: As we now head down to see some shops, I want to point out the wooden side walks and the gutters running in the streets.  In the 1600's there are published articles in local papers of New Orleans, complaining of the sewage running down the streets.  I added this problem to give a bit of realism to the setting.  LOL.
Taarna.Welles: are we crashing?
Tutz Zabelin: i think i crash
KelsoUxlay: Can`t walk anymore
 Lannorra Sion: You will see my visitors can get the a full day outfit and evening/fete outfit.  You will see shoes, gloves, hats and umbrella's available for free.  They are system avatar outfits, so that I could give them away free.  They are not transfer, but please let all your friends know they can come get them if they like here, for free.  :)  If you have a BOM mesh body, you should be able to still wear them. Next, is the Gentlemen's Shoppe, where the discerning gentleman can find a typical daytime/riding outfit, along with evening wear.  The shop includes shoes, boots, gloves, top hat and cane.  All free for my visitors, so they might get the true experience while they are here.  These are made by me and please be sure to read the gift TOS.  I am doing my best to promote legal free items in the OS.  These were made by myself.  I have bought many licenses for my textures, templates, etc.  And many things are my own, which I make in GIMP.
Forewarned is forearmed and since everyone had been warned about lag and taken measures about it we got along pretty well. Keeping your draw distance low and not wearing a super complex avatar are two big favors you can do for your host. Having an empty suitcase is another good thing, and also not walking around more than you can help it, until the server has gotten over the worst shock of arrival. Hosts can help themselves by checking out this page on the safari blog common issues are listed. Anyway, we rubberbanded a bit, froze a bit and some crashed, but on the whole everyone came back.
Lannorra Sion: ok maybe stay here for a minute, and cam up to the upper shops and see other things you can come back here and get
Thirza Ember: yes and maybe not try to buy freebies today if we can avoid it. Even if you're not having lag personally, you are contributing to other people's problems when you ask the server to give you assets.

Lannorra Sion: First we will briefly stop at the Pharmacy.  As I said earlier, this is my take on the actual building in New Orleans today.  I have tried to bring to life those early days when people would come here for tinctures and potions for all their ailments.  There is an apartment on the higher level and a back patio area. Please take a quick look around and meet me back on the street.  I am happy to answer any questions you have.
James Atlloud: I like the sound of the cicadas.
Jupiter Rowland: Finally a pharmacy that doesn't have cocaine and strychnine standing around in its shelves...
Lannorra Sion: Now we are in front of one of my favorite builds on this region, The Absinthe House, another building still standing today.  In the early days Absinthe was a spirit that people drank.  It got its unique flavor from wormwood, anise and fennel.  It was created in Switzerland by a French doctor, Pierre Ordinaire.  And became hugely popular and known as "The Green Fairy".  The French Quarter was proud to have its own establishment.
Kelso Uxlay: very nice
Jupiter Rowland: Forget cocaine, forget morphine, the lady has absinthe.
Lannorra Sion: Absinthe was a high proof spirit that was typically watered down and added with sugar via "Drippers".  The traditional French preparation involves placing a sugar cube on top of a specially designed slotted spoon, and placing the spoon on a glass filled with a measure of absinthe. Iced water is poured or dripped over the sugar cube to mix the water into the absinthe. If you look on the bar you will see my creation of these historical Drippers.
Lannorra Sion: We will now head back towards the Opera House.  Look to your left where you will see a representation of one of the Garden Mansions, with a highly detailed outdoor kitchen.  Hopefully you will be able to return to tour the house and grounds. If you can cam up, you can see the ballet in progress
James Atlloud: I see the ballerina
Angelic Kisses: very lovely, Lannorra
Lannorra Sion: I make all the sets, costumes, corregraph the ballet, etc,  They change with the seasons
Tosha Tyran: wow, that is a lot of work, Lannora
Lannorra Sion: I try to provide interactive activities
James Atlloud: Was it a challenge to find ballet animations or did you make them too?
Lannorra Sion: I bought the animations from Abranimations, he has a store in the OS, and i bought as much as i could
Beth Ghostraven: Lannora, could you send me the LM for his store?
Thirza Ember: is 'the OS' osgrid?
Lannorra Sion: no i meant the OS in general, i do not remember the grid he is on, but i should have a LM somewhere :)
Unadecal Arado: if he's selling them, probably Kitely
Thirza Ember:Lannorra Sion: i dont think he has them there, and i am not sure if the store is still up - i think i was there last summer
Beth on the balcony of the Opera House
Lannorra told me later that the store selling anims for Gloebits was on Utopiaskye grid, her last visit was in 2020. Sounds like she did well to buy up all she could while the going was good.
Because of the lag not all the pics taken came out, so do visit yourself and enjoy the splendid Inn with all its beautiful rooms, and the magnificent Opera House facade. We were in whirlwind mode as we went through, and a few missing textures didn't stop our fun one bit. 
Tosha Tyran: unfortunately I have to leave you now, my almost lover... (dancer)
Thirza Ember: ahaha
Beth Ghostraven: /me whispers to Tosha "Wise, he looks thoroughly disreputable"
Lannorra Sion: we should try to move on... follow this way. Down the street in this direction (north), there are 3 lovely, shotgun houses, then you will see the Graveyard.  
Pitstop
 Mal Burns: sit james sit
James Atlloud: it is done
Marlon Wayne: i was first
Lannorra Sion: lol outhouses
James Atlloud: Marlon was first, it's true.
Marlon Wayne: äääh
The build has some very lush landscape alongside the town buildings that have a personality all their own. We wandered over out of town and down across the ford to reach the final point in our tour, the ruins.
Lannorra Sion: Now I would like you to wade across the river with me, so see a very special place, the Ruins.  Set on Haunted Lake (inhabited by mer folk), the Ruins is an old Bayou mansion that is being decayed by the Bayou.  I hope you will enjoy its haunted beauty!  You will see more details on daylight, but get more atmosphere if you set to midnight. I have created a scripted Wiccan stone circle with a coven that can be called and some spells that can be cast. A place of nature and love.   I also created a Dark Magic Circle, also with a coven and spells, one which is to Summon a Demon!  You will find a Maze with a prize in the center, a Pagan Drum circle with Dancers, amazing gothic builds.You will find Desolate Manor on the river.  I warn you it is haunted!  If you are interested in supernatural, magical things this the place to be.  :)  Anyone interested can contact me or just come back and explore.  I am happy to give tours by appointment. 
Lannorra, Lifted, Angelic, Marlon, and James enjoying the atmosphere of The Ruins
lifted pixel: this grid sounds massive, how did you pick what to show us?
Lannorra Sion: Well Bayou is my favorite, especially the supernatural part, but i felt the City with all the quality freebies, ballet, etc might be very interesting
lifted pixel: when did you start getting into vampires? and the other creepy stuff? since you were a kid? or more recently?
Lannorra Sion: I have always loved reading novels with them.  I started Vampires in 2007 when I opened Phantom Rose in SL
Thirza Ember: i love how Johnny Depp always comes on Safari with us.  
Forest Azure: lucy really seems to love that dancepartner
Beth Ghostraven: I'm glad you showed us more than the supernatural parts, I"m not a fan of creepy :o)
James Atlloud: Lannorra, thank you so much for sharing this with us.  I really like all the textures you've chosen.
Lannorra Sion: if you take a swamp boat thru the Bayou its fantastic
Angelic Kisses: Thank you for the tour of you enchanting grid, Lannorra
Lannorra Sion: sorry about the lag - first time with 16 people at once
Kelso Uxlay: Thanks a lot Lannorra
Tutz Zabelin: so much work you done here Lannorra,  thank you so mush for let me see this ... It's not easy just build with freebees, I done it much
lifted pixel: i think the grid handled us all just fine considering!
Alexey Kazarovic: Congratulations Lannorra nice place
lifted pixel: Thank you for making the metaverse! See you around!
Lannorra Sion: Thank you for coming, please come back
Lannorra and Beth, with Jup, Tosha, Kelso and Lucy in the background

HG Address: phantomrose.ddns.net:8002:Phantom Rose Bayou

1 comment:

  1. How fun to visit another 'nawlins build. Lannorra's vision was familiar and yet unique which demonstrated just how individual our appreciation of the same place can be. Thank you Lannorra for sharing this work with Safari.

    ReplyDelete