Sunday, July 9, 2023

Planet A with Tina Bey

 Tina Bey is one of those outstanding artists who make opensim a joy.
In OSGrid since 2010, Tina's an enthusiastic supporter if opensimulator's Test grid, and this year once again she is contributing to the  Auction event at the end of September (here's a blog post about the auction).
Tina's sometimes perceived as being a little shy, not the loudest voice in the room for sure, but she has always impressed with her willingness to explore opensim, encourage others, learn what is going on out there on the HG, and make stunning original creations. If you're a safari oldbie you may remember our visits to Arcauana back in 2016, and Waterworld in 2015. Tina's from Argentina, so her first language is Spanish, but of course, the language of her art transcends all that.
Tina's art is deeply rooted in real world cultures and issues
Auction objects are sold for real money and won't be free to copy - but that's a huge exception from Tina's usual practice.
Tina Bey: Usually my sculptures are completely free, since the spirit of opensim has been free since its beginnings. That is why I benefited from working here and moving from Second Life to work better and more freely in all aspects, including economics. This "Antarctica" region generously lends me Mazzo Ganitano, a Spanish gentleman I don't even know personally but who gives many of us the possibility of having a region free of charge. I am very grateful for so many people who have given me their regions since I started, and that is why I generally put my created objects free, like in different shopping centers, among others LANI Mall. free copy.
This is her install, a take on the cultural sue of Global Warming - an emergency that so many people don't want to accept. On the outside it's bright and snowy... on the inside dark, pitch perfectly lit, showing off the nay-sayers and the melting world. There's none so blind as those who won't see.
Tina Bey: I was just finishing my build for the Auction when Dan Banner told me the theme was 'Sweet Sixteen' so I added some chocolates!
Tina Bey: I'm working particularly on illumination in this install. I have always been interested in questions about climate and the environment.. I belong to the Green party... I have great faith in the younger generation. but the people who have the power to make the necessary changes are BLIND. Hence the refrigerator humor!
 Tina Bey: The 'atmosfera' is a big topic. It was one of the first questions I put to my dear SL Professor Dimitri = how can one make climate, or atmosphere, professor? And I still don't think I've understood it, even though I've worked on it a lot.
The lighting is beautiful, so you'll be very tempted to linger n this region. Cherry Manga is a long time fan of Tina's, and both these talented ladies collaborated with WizardOz Chrome for the beautiful build on sim Exupery, celebrating the book The Little Prince, another region that shows off both her talent and her way of thinking.
There's just so much to look at - and think about - on this region... smashing.


But there's a lot going on on this region (up to about 3000m) so make sure you tale a good look around. For example, the big sci fi build is way up at the top - makes sense.
Tina Bey: Regarding the Antarctic region, hehehe it's a jumble of sandboxes, objects everywhere, it's like a big workshop, I try many things there, few areas are closed to the public, but that mess makes me feel comfortable...in Araucana my old region was all messier hehehe...
Some of the layers of Antartida
Thirza Ember: what started your love of Sci fi?
Tina Bey: It's still there, in Antarctica I have a space: The moon is where I hide, although I've left science fiction a bit for other topics that sting me more, but it's still my love, it's just that I feel like a space traveler... 
Antartida Arrival
If you're a fan of Spatial, you can find Tina over there too, so check out her experiments over there too, and che got a unique opportunity right here in osgrid recently. She is also active on Craft Grid and has participated in various art shows like the Zero violence against women event.
In 'tEl Tunel' an install up in the sky above Antartida
Tina Bey: this year I made a whole region about it that gave me the possibility Geo Perez, there in the region called Costelacion 2, I was free to do whatever I can think of, although Mr. Geo wanted some guidelines about his book. As long as they give me a bit of land, it's like having a free canvas.
Another section of the Tunnel
Tina Bey: My interest in science fiction began when I was little, I saw the moon landing on the moon on TV... I thought it was there... and today with the creations I make I am making that dream come true. I like to imagine how we would supply ourselves, how to accommodate our life to space. I like to look at the earth from the moon, it balances my ideas.
It took a lot of time to learn Blender, and other related programs, but for Tina, the effort was entirely worth it, to have more realistic objects inworld. Her own outfit has been a work in progress for many years, refining and perfecting the look. She's been wearing the same clothes for seven years - but don't worry, she showers daily!
The joy of building, the pleasure of mesh, and the passion for ecology and the preciousness of planet earth - after all, there is no Planet B, so we need to stick to the one we have, and nurture it - these are all the values that make Tina a precious asset to opensim, and an artist to watch!
HG Address: hg.osgrid.org:80:Antartida

4 comments:

  1. Very flattered by your visit and your splendid report on my work. thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful profile Thirza - Tina, such cool ideas! I found the global warming build and it is so good to see in person (in avatar?). Thank you Tina!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. hello Thank you very much, james atlloud, Osfest is coming soon, I'm already working - visit my "Antartida" region in Osgrid.

    ReplyDelete