Saturday, July 1, 2023

Life Goes Oni

It turns out, not everyone knows that the words 'tribute' and 'obituary' aren't synonyms. Oni Kiri, perhaps best known for the freebie regions with the umbrella name Adachi, hasn't died or anything so dramatic. However, Oni has retired from opensim, and closed the grid CopyKat where Adachi was located.
Having made countless friends over a decade-long career in opensim, Oni's friends wanted to celebrate the person who had given them so much good advice, kindness, prim space, and content with an upbeat retrospective of Oni's oeuvre.  
The new sim Adachi is on Blackswan Grid, and is the brainchild of close friend  Maurice Shamroy - you'll find the HG Address at the end of the post, the sim is visitable anytime.
Maurice Shamroy by the big 'I Quit' poster on Adachi CopyKat in Blackswan  
Maurice Shamroy:  Oni has been active in virtual world for 17 years, and I understand his choice to take a break (definitive or not we will see), my self I started in SL in 2007 and created Blackswan in 2010, so for me it's very easy understand Oni's choice. I think the best way to understand  what he did is resumed in the message I published in Adachi at landing point. 
Zoey Cutie standing by the message for Oni from OSW
At the party on the Adachi region of Blackswan grid, (check out their  Flickr Gallery !!) we all read the illustrated info boards that explain the many iterations of Oni, reflecting the ups and downs and crashes and comebacks of Opensim.
 The guests shared some of their thoughts, some old friends, some quite new, but in each case, the Copykat spirit shines through.
The many lives of Oni Kiri - an opensim history
 Nico Kailani: I met Oni back in the days of the Foundation Grid. We chatted a few times but I can't say we knew much about each other, except that Oni thought I was funny, and fun, and a good builder, so she offered me a 2x2 var-region on CopyKat. After building Aether, Oni offered me 4 more 2x2s. We got to know each other better when I would hang out at Adachi. As a grid owner, Oni was, as in all things, very generous.
Mike, Nico, Katrina, Sara, and Maurice recall he fun times on CopyKat
Mike Gallery: Oni supported my race track building
Katrina Angelline: I was hostessing for Oni for a short time a couple weeks before the grid had a big crash. Maurice rescued me and brought me here to Blackswan.  Oni helped me a lot. There was a lot of things I didn't know because hadn't been on here much but my best time was seeing how he interacted with people.
Sara Ripley: I was in Copykat to help for a week only. when Maurice was in vacation. but for what I heard from Pauline and Maurice, Oni was a point of reference for opensim, beside the issue he had with some people when he was accused to be a copybotter...from people that were copying everything from Adachi ..lol
Bunnies at Adachi
Zoey Cutey: Oni and I date from SL around 10 years ago, we were partnered lol! I've followed his journey off/on since. I ran the petite region in CK, but would frequently come out to Adachi just to hang out with the regulars, and Oni of course. I am not sure he understood or understands what he meant to us all. 

The idea of this region is to remember the past but also to look to the future. 
Nico Kailani: The closing of the CopyKat Grid had more immediate impact on me than the closing of Adachi. Adachi and CopyKat are pretty much synonymous, but Adachi had closed before and had come back again. And, there is hope Adachi will come back again. Maurice of BlackSwan Grid has been given the Adachi OARs. We just need to find an affordable server to host all of the Adachi Regions.
And seeing the difficulty of having that happen, it was doubtful that CopyCat Grid as a whole could return. So I came up with the concept of the CopyKat Collective: As I say, we are thinking "outside the grid". After all, an inter-grid tp and a hypergrid tp are almost indistinguishable.
Adachi on Blackswan
With CopyKat gone, people have moved to other grids - Nico's Oh Hello store and the Xinashi region is now a 4x4 VAR on login.friends-grid.com:8002:Xinashi, Cutey's, the petite store of Zoey Cutey is now on Playground Mall grid. playground.darkheartsos.com:8002:The Playground Mall and of course Maurice has always had his Blackswan Grid, going all the way back to 2010. That said, these friends didn't want to lose touch.
Nico Kailani: The Collective is a group of ex-residents who want to keep the ethos of CopyKat alive -  people who had a shop, a club, a hangout and/or skills important to us. Friendship can survive across grids, and this Collective is an emerging design, I think it's utterly unique, right now we cross-promote by way of a collective TP board.  The bulk of CopyKat were the 6 Adachi Regions, Oni gave them to Maurice of BlackSwan Grid, so Maurice and Adachi are a significant part of the Collective. At the moment, BlackSwan is hosting the Oni Kiri Tribute Region, and we are looking for a server we can afford to host the Adachi Shopping Regions.
Maurice showcasing the many looks of Oni
With inworld IMs across grids being a tad unreliable, one way to keep in touch is via the dreaded Socials... the Collective has its own Discord channel, with a cute new logo, inspired by the ying-yang of CK grid, but more feline.
Nico Kailani: I'm new to Discord. I'm not striving to build a Discord social media presence for the Collective. But, as I've said, its an emerging design. Current members will manage and fund the new server for Adachi shopping regions when that happens. We are looking for ways to accept donations to offset the costs of the server, and in addition, people have offered to help without asking. Just trying to work out how that can happen; one thing is for sure, we're glad to be surrounded by people that have the qualities Oni was looking for: Kindness Helpfulness Sharing.   I'd say that Adachi was essential to OS being what it is today. 
Mike, Mei, Nico, Katrina, Sara and Blackswan owner Maurice 
 HG Addresss  
grid.blackswan.world:18002:Adachi CopyKat in Blackswan   
IMPORTANT  - if this address doesn't work for you, as it didn't for me trying to hypergrid in, then try doing the following: go to grid.blackswan.world:18002 
and when you arrive on the grid, use your Map to search for " Adachi CopyKat in Blackswan "

5 comments:

  1. I went to adachi a couple times for an event, I was completely ignored as if I didn't even exist. the people continued on talking with each other and never even greeted me, so clearly a clique and not inclusive. I could immediately tell that nearly everything if not all of the items on the region were in fact copybotted and could be found for sale on the second life marketplace. Oni is a well known copybotter who encourages others to be like him which stifles creativity and originality in opensim. In my personal opinion opensim is better off without people like Oni.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW Really HG Safri your going to promote copybotting and copybotters, oni is a well known copybotter and had bullied people in the past who have tried to sell items for real money. They preach for opensim should be free yet wonder why they cant afford to rent a server, SMH!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really? Oni has pretended to leave the community a few times, so the repetition of this rhetoric is getting old, and doesn't deserve praise. Once a kind and generous figure who was fun to be around, I noticed, over time, things that brought genuine concern over the state of his mind and health. Adachi openly promoted pedophilia and content specifically made for sex between children and adults, yet his fanbase turned a blind eye to his illness. Help is available. Mental health problems can be treated. Perhaps he will use this time to seek the assistance he needs. Until then, please, stay away from opensim.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's hilarious all three commenters who no doubt benefitted from Oni's work are attacking him.W hile I don't support certain kinks, equating 2 adults living out a fantasy in a harmless way ... well pfft.

    ReplyDelete