Thursday, September 7, 2023

Magic in Panthalassa

Kayaker Magic, armed and dangerously clever
Our first Safari of the season continued on Discovery Grid with a... Safari destination! Lost World Safari is just one part of the vast Panthalassa region developed by Kayaker Magic. 
Take a moment to Favorite his Website, it's full of treasures, explanations, and hints.
 As you might expect the scripter extraordinaire had endlessly entertaining details for the group to enjoy, as we gathered together at the Lodge, perched high above the dinosaur enclosure. Panthalassia isn't the first 8x8 var region we have visited, but it's the first on Discovery Grid, so that may have contributed to the cloudiness, and - interestingly - selective nudity, that the group enjoyed. 
The two Thirzas who made the trip both experienced exactly the same conditions, despite arriving at different times and attempting to beat the problem with relogs. People did gradually rez, but in the end the main thing was the region with its many animals and toys, and that's what we focused on!
Unusually for the Safari, we stayed on the same grid for both our destinations on this particular trip. After an hour exploring a Dinkie landscape, we moved on to a vast network of outdoor activities. 
Kayaker Magic: Ah, one of the things I do in this Lost World Lodge is give slide shows of RL Adventures!  Discovery grid was started by Gregg Legendary, has anyone met him? Gregg was stuck in a wheelchair and wanted to create a place where people like him could still have adventures they could not do in RL. He invited me to come and set up surfing. I did a lot of other 'adventures' as well.
Tosha Tyran: that's great
Kayaker Magic: This lodge has the adventure slide shows, from here you can go dinosaur hunting,  There is a white water river that empties into a lake full of swimming dinos...  That bite.
Forest Azure: oh wow. exactly something to use virtual worlds for... would be great for old people too, only the learning curve is steep
Lavia Lavine: I love those dinosaurs!!!
Nebby Newman whispers: that's definitely something that you can't do in rl - dinosaur hunting!
Symphony Vive: hihihi
Kayaker Magic: Across the meadow here there is a shooting range where you can hone your skill before taking on a dino.
ShalHeira Nailo: that's awesome Kayaker.
Kayaker Magic: Oh, don't get the T-Rex mad... and don't touch the electric fence.
Symphony Vive: or  pee  on it
Kayaker Magic: Gregg's health got so bad, he almost shut down the grid! But eventually Balpien took it over and kept it alive. Now the only remaining bit of the original vision is the adventures I do every Saturday morning. Continuing the list, near the rifle range there is a Pandoran forest. Where you can use a Na'vi bow to hunt Yerik. If you know Pandoran critters...There is an Ikran, but I don't think it will let you ride it. They are particular. Ada Radius, (do you know her) and I are setting up a store here called the "artisan fjord" She has a bunch of freebie stuff there, like Wee Folk avatars.: I'm not set up there yet. Oh, and I teach -lead a Blender class here every Wednesday morning. This morning I showed how to rig a tail!
Mal Burns: from what i have heard you might have a problem with defenses -I am sure those dinos could breach them
Kayaker Magic: The dinos are restricted to a parcel, and the fence runs along the parcel border so it looks like they avoid the fence!
Symphony Vive: this is exciting
Symphony Vive ready to Safari in style

Nara Nook: what time is your blender class?
Kayaker Magic: Blender class is every Wednesday morning at 9:30AM
Nara Nook: time zone?
Kayaker Magic: All times are Grid time. Which is PDT... which is where I live in RL! Convenient!  Every April 15th I have another event, Ballroom dancing in the Titanic. At the end of the evening, the boat breaks in half and sinks for your amusement.  We can go do that at the end of the tour...
Nara Nook: love the Titanic ballroom
Thirza Ember: i think this is so cool.... was it a big scripting challenge - how hard was it to figure out the shooting thing?
Kayaker Magic: I was a coder before retiring to the Metaverse.,,, I love writing scripts!
lifted pixel: love to sling a mean skrip
Kayaker Magic: Weapons used to not work well in OpenSim. The physics engine is still not perfect for that, so I have found ways around it, using llCastRay and messages....
lifted pixel: you can use raycasting can't you?
Kayaker Magic: Modern video games use castray, it is a good way to do it.
lifted pixel: yeah honestly raycasting is better than firing a physical prim anyway... I think it's just a fun quirk of SL to fire physical bullets. it's kinda to do it just to do it
Tosha Tyran: kayaker, I discovered that instead of shooting the dinos, one can also ride them!  that was a wild ride 

Star Ravenhurst: I think I just got multiple weapons with one click... I guess that means I am to protect all of you... I would rather ride them
Tosha Tyran: yes!
Thirza Ember: lol me too, i'm a lover not a fighter
Nara Nook: me three
Symphony Vive: okies  you ride  we  shoot...go  fast  though!
Star Ravenhurst: Hahah!
Kayaker Magic: I've never been a fan of first person shooters.
Easy target? Give it a try
And just like that, we took off for another part of the VAR - the beach! If you arrive at the default landing point of this region, the surfing beach is pretty much the first thing you'll see - a great long stretch of sand, with numerous watercraft to choose from, and those giant waves that roll up onto the sand so dramatically. Fun in the sun - or at night - you choose!
Kayaker Magic: I scripted sailing boats so I have sailing lessons, races and cruises.
Lavia Lavine: I love the kayaks you made.
Thirza Ember: really you could spend a month on vacation here, and still not see it all I think
lifted pixel: what is your favorite transportation here? of the ones you put together
Kayaker Magic: I love to sail, and Discovery has 10s of kilometers of connected oceans. I'll give you lessons, then you can borrow one of my boats and sail away
lifted pixel: yeah checking out the grid map there's a ton of water. very nice
Star Ravenhurst: I LOVE sailing!
Nara Nook: I was so grateful you brought surfing to Opensim
Kayaker Magic: Gregg Legendary gave me a sculpted horse and asked me to script it, so horseback riding is one of the adventures. We have a race course, steeple chase, barrel race and riding trails. The Ichthyosaur in the lake, you ride them and steer them with the arrow keys.
Freebie Ao - delivered on the beach!

Thirza Ember: Kayaker, what can we do to get the word out about your activities - and do you have any ambitious scripting projects in the works?
Kayaker Magic: I advertize in OpenSimWorld, don't have time to do much other advertizing I think this teleport sign works, lets go look at the surfing beach.
Original Character: I feel one scripting project we could really do with is a comprehensive AO.
Kayaker Magic: I did an AO! It is called KHAOS, and it is a re-write of the ZAOS but is a LOT LESS LAGGY on the server.  I give it away free... Grab it from these boxes.
Original Character: Cool, thanks. I like the idea of having expressive animations, not just movements and standing...and maybe the ability to toggle between swim and fly at a button.
Kayaker Magic: There are also wind surfers that can jump off the wave if you hit them right, they sail the wind with realistic physics, so you have to learn how to trim the sails. In SL there were a lot of surfboards, I never saw anyone do body surfing, or kayak surfing, even my inner tube can ride the waves!
Thirza Ember: so - just to recap - Saturdays and Wednesdays are the big kayaker days in discovery grid is that right?
Kayaker Magic: Yes, Wednesday and Saturday mornings.
Mal does some dramatic kayaking
Forest.Azure: /me sends symphony on a rescue mission - get the drowning dinkie!
Tosha Tyran: save Mal,  he is sitting on the water
Forest.Azure: not Mal, he can swim
Tosha Tyran: to me looks more as if he would start to walk on water soon... that happened once before, didnt it?
Thirza Ember: very special powers.... I still see a lot of clouds, but at least the safari didn't crash the grid
Kayaker Magic: Hold down the back-arrow key and the windsurfer will work better. That trims the sail tight I've had people from SL tell my my sailboats don't work, but that is because they press the FWD arrow to make it go. Only the wind makes a boat go here, and FWD arrow rotates the sail forward where it might miss the wind
Original.Character: I kind of like these swimming poseball things
Thirza Ember: it's fun to watch other people too - a great entertainment!
Kayaker Magic: I wrote tools for terraforming, this beach and the dunes were created by a Fractal script. I had some extra space behind the dune so put in a dune field... that inspired me to make dune buggies! So now that is another adventure!
Boomer Waverider: and a few planes to fly at the dirt airstrip too
Kayaker Magic: Yeah, I haven't made a good airplane yet, so I don't push the landing strip...
Graceann Noel: wow i like watching the those waves the way they do out there it is so cool  to watch
Kayaker Magic: All these adventures are running 24/7, you can come visit and try them out.Track me down and I'll give sailing lessons.
Star Ravenhurst: In OS I kinda need them. It was easy sailing in SL, but I haven't hung out there in years. Who can go after experiencing Open Sim? You have created such a fun environment.
Tosha Tyran: and it is great to surf and swim... I have to come next time with my sexiest bathing suit... hahahaha, well, I have to get one
Lifted Pixel: some of y'all are naturals at this!
Ayla does some straight line work with a windsurf

Kayaker Magic: SL people complain that my boats are too hard to sail. Hear that sail flapping? That means you didn't trim the sails right!
Star Ravenhurst: Open Sim has improved tremendously since I came here with flying, sailing, driving, all of it. You used to not get things to move very well
Thirza Ember: there are lots of sailing people in opensim, who are really expert, I would love to see a match between you guys... like the Olympics of sailing
Star Ravenhurst: Good idea Thirza!
Lifted Pixel: yacht race!
Symphony Vive: *:-.,_,Yayyyyyyy!!!_,.-:*'``'* Fun!  :)
Kayaker Magic: OK, the last spot on our tour is the Titanic.
Kayaker Magic: You know that it is hard to have an event on a moving object... This movement is an illusion.
Tosha Tyran: ehm... you think it is safe here?
Thirza Ember: I think kayaker will keep us safe
Kayaker Magic: NO! I will sink the ship! Set your viewer to midnight
Tosha Tyran: oh dear
Forest Azure: where is Leonardo?
Boomer Waverider: I need you to swim Rose )
Tosha Tyran: are there enough life savers?
Boomer Waverider: Iceberg , dead ahead )
Lifted Pixel: shouts: that didn't sound good
Kayaker Magic: Uh oh, we just hit the big iceburg. The ship will sink in about 10 minutes.
Boomer Waverider: why ain't she turnin'?
Kayaker Magic: The script that runs the sinking will shoot flares, launch the boats, break the boat in half, etc. follow me to the ballroom.
Symphony Vive: Amazing  Kayaker
Kayaker Magic: Ah, I see someone found the life vests. There will also be lifeboats.
Lifted Pixel: haha i'm safe now
Symphony Vive: Screams
Lifted Pixel: oooh it's angling
Tosha Tyran: I dont trust the captain
Thirza Ember: is it too late to get a refund?Tosha Tyran: are you sure you will be able to safe us all?
Kayaker Magic: The danceball leaves you hanging in mid-air when the boat sinks there are life-vests on the walls, and I'll pilot one of the lifeboats to pick up anyone who needs a ride.
Nebby Newman: do they save you from drowning?
Boomer Waverider: not in freezing water
Kayaker Magic: the safest place is on the stern, I'm heading there. 

Lifted Pixel: that doesn't sound good
Nara Nook: it's tilting
Star Ravenhurst: Well now we all can say we were on the Titanic when it went down
Neo.CortexHG: o.o...
Tosha Tyran: shouts: HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP
Mal.Burns: hm - i can breathe undderwater!! so what was all the fuss about?
Tosha Tyran: ah, the vesst makes me swim
Forest.Azure: going down... down down
Symphony Vive: Excellent  truely  Amazing
Tosha Tyran: this is a real master piece, Kayaker
Symphony.Vive: shouts: watch  for swimmer everybody
Nebby Newman: I'm watching for the debris field
Kayaker Magic: What do SL "experiences" have that we can't just do with scripts?
Lifted Pixel: experiences are just scripts with perms. opensim can do everything sl can and more
Lifted Pixel: oh nice it's got motion all the way down



Tosha Tyran: oh, and all the debris swimming around
Nebby Newman: there it is ... debris!
Kayaker Magic: And rats swimming around!... Uh oh, I just got bit by an ichtyosaur
Tosha Tyran: oh wow... this is truly amazing
Nebby Newman: a very gifted scripter and builder!
Star Ravenhurst: This is the most groovylicous thing ever!!
Nara Nook: This was an amazing safari
Kayaker Magic: So come back April 15th for ballroom dancing (an sinking)
Thirza Ember: what a splendid start to the season, thanks so much Kayaker and ShalHeira
Lifted Pixel: this was a good start for the season!
Symphony Vive: Excellent fun Thank YOU Kayaker!
Tosha Tyran: load and loads of thanks to kayaker
Star Ravenhurst: We survived the Titanic!

HG Address:   discoverygrid.net:8002:Spirit Rock Ranch
hop://discoverygrid.net:8002/Spirit%20Rock%20Ranch/657/1297/124

1 comment:

  1. Another greatly planned Safari - I'm back at home and I'll be at the next one for certain. Thanks to Thirza and Kayaker!

    ReplyDelete