Thursday, February 9, 2023

Crazy Like A Foxx

Foxx Bode: hi all. Welcome at Red Dragon estate, This region is old and a tad "primmy" so give it some time to load, and zoom around :)
Red Dragon - Foxx's home on OSGrid
Star Ravenhurst: This build is AMAZING!! I just cammed out!
James Atlloud: This place is like the Thunderbirds HQ - or a bond villain lair!  It's so cool.
Beth Ghostraven:  Wow, you're right, Star!
Foxx Bode: its also 12 years old, it was built in the first year i moved to opensim. I left SL in april 2010 and moved here.
Total Sorbet: ah same year i did!
Tosha Tyran: and I
Star Ravenhurst: Even more impressive knowing how old the build is. I didn't discover Open Sim until 2015
Foxx Bode: The region you're on is my house, its built on a 3x3 VAR. The whole red dragon is built on 25 regions, but i didnt start all of them, because there is an insane amount of prims and it would probably not handles this group.  Also this is not the regular opensim branch, i switched it to the .NET6 branch yesterday, for better performance.
Nara Nook: interesting
Lots of beautiful details on Foxx's regions.
Foxx Bode: I heard about OpenSim via SL mentors group, and tried it in the very very beginning. But you were a ruth with no inventory on an empty sim, with no manual, no clue, and nothing usable. So i stuck in SL until 2010 and things stabilised
Forest Azure: I think I was here around that time too, for educational purposes. I did a research experiment in here
James Atlloud: yeah, when did the educator's discount end at SL?
Tosha Tyran: ah, that is true.... when I first came to Opensim, before 2010, it was really a bit difficult, build, crash, build, crash, but it was fun experimenting. I made my first OS-steps on the very first Italian grid - Cyberlandia.
chasty Slavicz: I came here this year
Nara Nook: I learned about Opensim and SL at the same time but chose Opensim because of NPCs
Star Ravenhurst: I was enjoying Second Life and had no idea other worlds or options were available until a friend showed me.
Nebby Newman: after a few years in SL (16 now), I heard about OSgrid, so that's when I arrived
Star Ravenhurst: It was still difficult in 2015 when I came. It didn't run as smooth as it does now. We have come a long way even since I have been here
Forest Azure: well, it certainly looks way better now than it did back then
Tosha.Tyran: thanks to very many dedicated people
Nebby Newman: so much done and so much to go
Foxx Bode: the real backyard is the region behind this one. its full of caves and waterfalls and dancefloors
Total Sorbet: wow
Foxx Bode: these regions are stuffed with things from all around the grid. I make buildings, not trees :) Some stuff here doesn't work, as its old and incompatible with Y engine
Unadecal Masala: but you could disable Yengine and only run Xengine
Nebby Newman: ok, I'm camming around and I heard an elephant!
Mrs Bode's menagerie
Foxx Bode: 1 of the 9 regions is built by my wife,  she spent about a week in here, and left to never return, not her thing.
Thirza Ember: which one, Foxx?
Foxx Bode: the one with all the animals :P
Beth Ghostraven: which wife, Thirza? lol
Tosha Tyran: how many wives does he have, Thirza? 
Forest Azure: /me is trying a tiny bit of cake and hope nobody notices
Star Ravenhurst: Can you pass me a piece too Forest?
Forest Azure: /me sneaks into the cake again for star
Thirza Ember: Foxx, what is the best and worst bits of being Grid Admin on such a big grid?
James Atlloud: I know grid admin is beyond me - it's some sort of magic.
Tosha Tyran: yes, so true I sometimes speak with ours in Craft - and really... I understand nothing when he starts with grid problems, servers, versions....  it is like teaching a cow to ice skate.......... / giggles
James Atlloud: great image Tosha
Osgrid Birthday cake. If we had known, we could have re-gifted it to Dorena!
Unadecal Masala: that's why dan is Master of the Dark Arts
Foxx Bode: Well, I generally deal with technical stuff, which ( for me) is the nice part. I used to be a helpdesk engineer / network technician, so this keeps me "in touch" with a previous life, since i took another career path.
Nebby Newman: in the past, I've read of some "interesting" questions asked of a help desk
Thirza Ember:  OSGrid is the 'test' grid for opensimulator, and sometimes many people find it frustrating to be on a grid where there is no guarantee that things will work in the same way consistently
chasty Slavicz: but for a experimental beta version it is working well I think
Lucy Afarensis: I have lost most of my clothes over the years
Unadecal Masala: and of course, no grid can guarantee that. The only way to approximate such guarantee is to adjust everything initially and then don't update the software 'do not touch'
Nara Nook: There are grids where things work the same way consistently?
Nebby Newman: even the rl grid doesn't work consistently
James Atlloud: Nara, is that the upper, middle or lower hypergrid?
Mal Burns: rl was greatly overestimated, in decline if not gone yet
Total Sorbet: if opensim was perfect id install the "beweird_again" module.. with all the bugs I'd miss
Nara Nook: Yeah I miss the hypergrid being wonky
Foxx Bode: Well, we work with a dedicated group of volunteers to keep this grid online, alive, and going somewhere. Since all runs on donations its a model of which 1000's of people told us it would fail, and not exist next year. But it turned 15 last yea
Foxx Bode - far from a small wheel.
Nebby Newman: *applauds*
Tina Bey: bravo por Osgrid!!
Tosha Tyran: it need a whole lot of dedication
Nara Nook: We would crumble without OSGrid.  I just miss the random weirdness, well - maybe not being bald everywhere
Lucy Afarensis: I like having my sims here. There is still random weirdness here
Foxx Bode: I'm really just a really small wheel in this big grid. But many hands can accomplish great things; it's a thing not all people realise, OSgrid is a work of collaboration. Pixels have no value. The memories and good times you have with your friends do.
chastySlavicz: then Osgrid is the origin of all what we call opensim?
Total Sorbet: it's opensimulators sandbox
Foxx Bode: Opensimulator is the engine. OSgrid is a grid, that serves both as the test grid for opensim, and as a 503 registered non profit. That non profit is ran by a board, made up from OSG admins
Star Ravenhurst: So what happens to Open Sim if OS grid shuts down and never comes back again?
Thirza Ember: the test phase is over ?? LOL
chasty.Slavicz: but still experimental beta version after 15 years? how comes?
Foxx Bode: Many developers moved forward to new technology. There are simply not many core dev's. And also they are unpaid volunteers. We do with what we have.  And not that bad either IMHO.
Thirza Ember: yes, and the ones we have are all working rl jobs lol - poor things, when do they sleep?
Tosh Tyran: from 24hto midnight - sleeping is overestimated anyhow
chasty Slavicz: hobby after RL work is stress yes if it is same work
Foxx Bode: my build has over 186.000 prims and some 7000 scripts. running for over a decade, for absolutely free.
Thirza Ember: Foxx, is it true your regions are only online when you are at home? not 24/7?
Foxx Bode: correct. My wife works from home 4 days a week and doesn't want her VPN yada being squeezed by my regions
Lucy Afarensis: You run them on your home computer ? cool
Foxx Bode: yeah i have a gameserver. Core 12 gen core i7 with 32 GB RAM and a 3070
2:
Foxx Bode: runs this and the viewer just fine. Opensim has no imposed limits, so it will run as much as your machine can provide "oomph"
chasty Slavicz: yes I thought so - so min must be 32 GB Ram to run it smooth with people
Foxx Bode: no not at all, 1 normal region needs 1 dedicated core and 1 GB of RAM. Heap allocated to OpenSim   : 654 MB   Heap allocation rate (last/avg): 0.214/2.157MB/s   Process memory:      Physical 1414 MB    Paged 1393 MB   Virtual 6211 MB   Peak process memory: Physical 6123 MB    Paged 6129 MB   Virtual 10859 MB
Star and her (mostly) harmless wings.
It's that kind of tech talk that confuses me, so I suggested a nice photo op. These, in virtual worlds, come with some unique challenges, from tall people needing to be at the back, to 'appendage management'.
Star Ravenhurst: Trying not to poke an eye out with my wings
Tosha Tyran: appreciate it
Thirza Ember: so Foxx, this is Osgrid's 16th year - any thoughts about the future of osgrid?
Foxx Bode: yes. plenty. We just renewed the backend servers, and all migrations are behind us.  OSgrid went from doomed to fail, to endlessly scalable.
Nebby Newman: good to hear
Foxx Bode:  it is way more powerful, for less money - well, until inflation and energy hit us too that is. But nevertheless. OSgrid is run in a datacenter. We only run grid services and plaza's. All other regions can be wherever, Home datacenter. Depends on the user, that's why mileage may vary... OSgrid has overcome a lot of shit in 15 years. But its still here, with a devoted crew of people that take care of it, and enough donations to keep it afloat.
chasty Slavicz: have you ever thought to run all the home computers as relay with own protocols? so that groups and IM is working in whole OS?
Unadecal Masala: I'm not sure what you mean Chasty
Foxx Bode: Not specifically, as that's more a developer thing. We test the code they provide inworld here. if it can run LBSA, it can handle any region :)
chasty Slavicz: ok, I thought of Nostr as example and all anonymous. No admin could look in messages and what people talk
Unadecal Masala: oh I see, you mean like using Kubernettes for scalability
chasty Slavicz: it's more blockchain based
Unadecal Masala: blockchain... that would not work here. It would work, probably, but performance would suffer greatly
Thirza Ember: great to imagine all these devs all around the world coming up with ideas
Foxx Bode: In case you're interested all the regions are public so feel free to poke wherever you please
Nebby Newman: ty Foxx ... looks interesting when camming
Foxx Bode: most is very old here tho.
Nebby Newman: well, so am I  ; P
Foxx Bode: We can move to the backyard, instead of standing outside here. try and find it :)
 very relaxing looking here
Total Sorbet: loving the purple
Foxx Bode:  its all old, but its kind of like my 2nd living room, this region, it feels like home.
Star Ravenhurst: It is wonderful, so peaceful. Love the jumping whale
chasty Slavicz: feels like old SL :-) nostalgic mood
Thirza Ember: got a pic (with Mal looking the wrong way but hey) thank you so much Foxx for hosting us today
Beth Ghostraven:  there's always that one person, lol
Star Ravenhurst: I think it is thrilling to have such an old grid that runs well in Open Sim
Foxx Bode: if you build something, keep the OAR's and time stands still pretty much :)

HG Address:  hg.osgrid.org:80:Red Dragon Nite Club

2 comments:

  1. thank you thirza and Foxx - I really appreciate reading the last half hour of chat as I had to leave early. I really like the main(?) building design.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can find some vid's on these regions here : https://www.youtube.com/@FoxxBode/videos There a bit dated, like the regions themselves, but they give an idea of the "bigger picture".

    ReplyDelete