Thursday, March 7, 2024

Safari meets its Speculoos

So this was it, the final mass gridjump of crazy Safarians from SharingIsCaring to Speculoos. This Belgian-but-a-bit-caribbean-with-a-side of welsh grid has some idiosyncrasies, in particular when it comes to Inv and Lms, making it a little bit of a challenge to reach, but perhaps we needed to stretch our ingenuity muscles. And it was certainly worth it to see one of the most unusual builds in opensim, Brussels' famous Grand Place flooded and turned into a tropical beach. Global warming, anyone?
arriving in Grand Place
Tosha Tyran: Hi everybody.... wipes her forehead.... it really was a fight to get here :D
Thirza Ember: teleport totem! I think everyone made it however!
Lavia Lavine: Hail hail the gang's all here.
Andron Rae: woo beach party , lol :)
Thirza Ember: we are all here Gudule!
Gudule Lapointe
Gudule Lapointe: Hello everybody
Tosha Tyran: beach party? lets get naked!
James Atlloud: Shrimp and white wine!
Lavia Lavine: All we need is a barrel of shrimp and 3 barrels of beer.
Star Ravenhurst: I am  not dressed for this. I will take some wine please.
Kelso Uxlay: Nicely cold
Lavia Lavine: I like shrimp and boiler makers.
Forest Azure: /me feels rather speculoos herself now
Thirza Ember: i'm sitting on the table, I hope nobody spilled any beer
Forest Azure: not on, Thirza... in!
Luna Lunaria: I always bring extra underwear for spilled beer
Thirza Ember: my beer underwear is in the wash
Lavia Lavine: A wise thing to do Luna.
James Atlloud: Only the smaller umbrellas seem to allow one to sit upon them.
Gudule Lapointe: You need to target the chairs to sit under the umbrellas
James Atlloud: TY Gudule, but that is not how James sits.  ha ha
Gudule Lapointe: Welcome to Speculoos
Forest Azure: /me sits on james
Tosha Tyran: Forest always manages to get the best places
James Atlloud: Ok, no little deaths now. 
Forest Azure: /me pokes james to a great death
Thirza Ember: is there a weight restriction on that umbrella?
Dabici Straulino: oui - yes
James Atlloud: I think these very sturdy umbrellas.
Ellen Tiratzo: hey Ernie
Ernest Moncrieff: heya Ellen
Andron Rae: love the building cutouts, it's an effective, effect :)
James Atlloud: Are they cutouts or facades?
Forest Azure: now THIS is art
Ellen Tiratzo: What is this all about?
Ernest Moncrieff: I think Venice is lost to the Tidal Lagoon
Thirza Ember:  Ellen this is what happens when the hurricane hits Bruxelles... this should be surreal... but global warming... who knows??
Gudule Lapointe: I'll tell you the story of the place, and an explanation for the cutouts, but maybe you have an introduction before? spoiler alert: cutouts that were supposed to be full houses
James Atlloud: Facade are legit architecture I say
Thirza Ember: it totally expresses the concept
Nara Nook: doing it this way really cuts down on lag
Andron Rae: yep agreed :) sets the mood well
Lavia Lavine: They use them in movies all the time.
Forest Azure: like cowboy ones
Ernest Moncrieff: "Queen Anne up front and Mary Ann out the back" as they say in the UK
Tosha Tyran: lol
James Atlloud: ha ha ha!
Gudule Lapointe: a lot of cities have fake facades to hide facilities like subway air system
Thirza Ember: so - what do you guys know about Belgium? come on... reveal your inner  geography geek
James Atlloud: Belgian chocolate
Tosha Tyran: its small
Forest Azure: don't make a dutchie start about belgium :)
Nara Nook: now I want chocolate
Star Ravenhurst: I have chocolate. Passes it around
Luna.Lunaria: chocolate is a primary food group
Alexey Kazarovic: The smurfs and tin tin
Alexey Kazarovic: moules et frites
Thirza Ember: what's the name of the little boy statue
Tosha Tyran: männeken piss, Thirza
Gudule Lapointe: the status is Manneken Pis
Tosha Tyran: ok, ok, mine was the german version :D
Dabici Straulino: the Manneken Pis contributes to the elevation of ocean level
Gudule Lapointe: in RL it would be next to here, in the street behind the palm trees... well in RL there would be no palm tree, so don't write it as a landmark
Lavia Lavine: Would Palm trees grow in Belgium?
James Atlloud: or climate change per chance?
Lavia Lavine: Ahh yes
Dabici.Straulino: imagine Miami
Thirza Ember: wow swimming!
Luna Lunaria: glub
Forest Azure: oh wow, i can do the butterfly stroke!
Forest Azure: /me splashes kem
kem micho: hugs
James Atlloud: I am sandworm now?
Luna.Lunaria: That is an amazing dress Thirza - not wet at all
Thirza Ember: Luna, this is my drip dry dress
lifted  pixel: y'all are cracking me up swimming around
Luna Lunaria: sandworms from Dune
Andron Rae: * drowns *
Luna Lunaria: watches her heels - worms around
 Ernest Moncrieff: feels like a Richard Hamilton Collage
Luna 'The Hair' Lunaria sneaks in to visit us during the workday
Gudule Lapointe: The background story is that I have been living in Brussels for most of my life, until I moved to the Caribbean. This build was also a way to merge both
Thirza Ember: Gudule.... that's a big transition!
Dabici Straulino: oh different time zone :)
James Atlloud: Gudule, which do you prefer?
Gudule Lapointe: None, that's why I wanted a mix of both lol. Seriously, I am happy to be here and won't imagine to move back, but I loved Brussels too. It's just that I know it, and there's so much new here
Sandy city center
Thirza Ember: life's a beach!
Tosha Tyran: and so am I sometimes
Gudule Lapointe: Life's a beach, I love it, can I borrow it for my next printed t-shirt?
Thirza Ember: lol it's not mine, Gudule so YES
Ernest Moncrieff: Life's a bar of Belgian chocolate
Thirza Ember: yeah,  ... just like chocolate, caution, may contain nuts
Thirza Ember: so, if you turn on the Stream you will hear some french music, and in a minute, you'll hear Gudule's own songs
James Atlloud: Oui, I've been listening all the time.
Dabici.Straulino: super ce jazz
Alexey Kazarovic: Ohh thank you so much I love this stream.
Gudule Lapointe: The names of the NPC band are the actual names of the musicians... (and unfortunately I had no upright bass for Maciej, so I gave him an electric bass, but it's actually a real wooden one
Tosha Tyran: but the vibes are good, gudule, no worries
Dabici Straulino: superbe cette chançon
Gudule Lapointe: pay attention to his solo on cello, I  love it... simple, but vibrant
James Atlloud: I had an electric bass but traded it for a cello.
Tosha Tyran: I had one and I traded it for chocolate
Alexey Kazarovic: I prefer wind instruments, but the fact is that the strings always move something inside me.
Gudule Lapointe: at the piano, Elizabeth Gaylord, from South Africa
Speculoos has an unusual feature - or it may have been that the server was reacting to the arrival of a dozen crazy people - but either way, it wasn't possible to pass inventory to anyone nearby - in this case, a dance. However, we all managed OK, we're resilient and nimble.
James Atlloud: there, I think I found one.  Honestly, I get hopelessly lost in inventory.
 Forest Azure: /me is surprised to hear you actually have an inventory
James Atlloud: Good point Forest.
Forest Azure: yes, sorry, could not resist
Dabici.Straulino: bravo
Thirza Ember: Wow James you went from no dances to a sort of Michael Jackson meets Roberto Bolle
Gudule Lapointe: this one is less jazzy, the album version is not enough finished, so we play the original reggaeton-ish version
Thirza Ember: well this has been a fun season you guys....  Safari starts again on April 24. Just enough time to clear your cache, empty your suitcase, and forget why going on safari is a crazy thing to do
 Dabici Straulino: Good evening everyone, I must leave Gudule, merci pour cet agréable choix musical
Gudule Lapointe: For those interested the songs on YouTube have English subtitles https://youtube.com/magicoli69 and if you wait for the next song, it's the last of the album, and it's about virtual worlds
lifted  pixel: Thank you for sharing your music and this crazy build. I'm going to be removing sand from who knows where for who knows how long.
tar Ravenhurst: This was fun. Love the music! Thank you for having us here
Ernest Moncrieff: must press catchup on this seasons safari on your blog
James Atlloud: It's worth it Ernest - great visits this season. Have a good rest of your week everyone!
lifted  pixel: have a great day y'all, see you in april!
Forest Azure: thank you for this visit!
Alexey Kazarovic: :))) Thank you for your music.
James Atlloud: Thank you Gudule for this vision of the future and for swimming in the sand.
Gudule Lapointe: Thanks a lot for the visit, it's been a real pleasure
Nara Nook: Was a lovely visit. Good bye Safari until next season.
Neo Nook: Have a great time!
Forest Azure: bb and see you in spring 

HG Address: speculoos.world:8002:Grand Place
if that doesn't work for you, then try going to speculoos.world:8002 and then search the map for Grand Place



3 comments:

  1. This was a fun visit - even though I crashed again in the end! What a surprising mix: Brussels meets Caribbean (with the climate warming in mind)...
    And - sigh - from now on "Safari-withdrawal". Ok, for a while only, I hope!
    Thanks Thirza, thanks to Gudula, our last host for this season and thanks to all my fellow Safarians for the great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Tosha - I think this was Safari at it's finest, lots of interaction, exploration and many good jokes and fun. Thank you Gudele and team, and as always, thank you Thirza.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry I missed being there - I am responsible for the 'side of Welsh'. You all seemed have have a lot of fun. Hope to catch you the next time you visit!

    ReplyDelete