Thursday, November 9, 2023

A Scientific Safari Finale

Our final stop on this final Safari of 2023 was on OSGrid, at the home of Caro Fayray. Caro is a long time resident, and also a volunteer administrator,  of the grid often dubbed 'the crossroads of Opensim'.
Caro Fayray
 Each year Caro takes responsibility for organizing, displaying, labelling, and promoting the original content that is donated for OSgrid's Auction - people can buy for real money content that is not available anywhere else in opensim, and the funds they pay go toward the maintenance of the OSGrid servers, which as everyone knows, are entirely funded by volunteer contributions.
On Echo Rock, we took our places in a comfortable meeting area.
Caro Fayray: Hello everyone and welcome to ECHO ROCK - FUN SCIENCE This region has shared environment, take a seat or pose on a column:) Local Chat is simwide to make interaction easier. Feel  free to  explore  if you want. Many are interactive so don't just cam:) In  your  invite you say  'art' thirza... I  never thought  of this as art:) 
Alex Salamander: Hello
Tosha Tyran: Hi
Kelso Uxlay: Hello Caro... camming around... Volcano erupting
Forest Azure: you want us to explore on our own?
Caro Fayray: if  you  want, I  can come  too
Forest Azure: well, i was hoping for a tour
Kelso Uxlay: Lots of things to see
Caro Fayray: but different things may interest different people
Caro Fayray: When you take the lift one person has to be the operator to  move;). And sit on seats...If you stand you will go back down with the lift or hang in the air. I have no idea how many it will  transport sitting....good  test:) This region has shared environment
lifted pixel: hello hello! we're on our way!
Caro Fayray: There are 3 floors. On this one you have:  Volcanoes - Rainbows - Optical Illusions - Forestry and a couple of small ones. On the floor above is Nebulae and recently added Solar Winds. In the Basement is the dangerous stuff:) Chain Reaction - Physical Balls to play with - Newtons Laws of Motion - Galileo's Balls and Archimedes Density. All new. I can  hear someone  has set  of the chain reaction  lol... 
Solar stuff explained
Caro Fayray:  Please forgive any malfunctions as I haven't quite mastered the physics bits completely but please play as it is safe, balls will poof. Please let me know if you see any blinding errors, I am not a scientist:).
Thirza Ember: what gave you the idea for this sim Caro?
Caro Fayray: This sim was started a long time ago, 2013, in my crazy   building days. I want to create all different environments
Forest Azure: is it for education?
Caro Fayray: it could  be, but fun also, this year I added about 6  more exhibits. It's a work in  progress....forever  probably. And if anyone has a science exhibit they would like to add here let me know as there is room for more.
Tosha Tyran: how do I build an atomic bomb in 3 easy lessons?
snowbody Cortes: ahah Tosha
Caro Fayray: mmmm....new  exhibit  maybe  tosha
Tosha Tyran: I will tell my old teachers... they certainly missed something
How trees work - it's stranger than you think!
Forest Azure: education and fun are not mutually exclusive :)
Caro Fayray: no, learning should always  be  fun
Forest Azure: totally agree
Star Ravenhurst: To learn is to truly live
Caro Fayray: I learned a  lot doing this. Science didnt get taught to girls when I was at school
Forest Azure: well, a virtual world or a game is the best way to make learning something you really want to do
Tosha Tyran: absolutely Forest
Caro Fayray: yes. this was  the first floor I did
Thirza Ember: that rainbow build is just so lovely, you have captured the process so well, it's like a poem
Caro Fayray: that was  one of the first I did  here
Walking to the lift, with the rainbow explainer in the background
Caro Fayray: if anyone would  like  I'll  transport you  in the  lift? This year I added about 6  more exhibits. It's a work in  progress....forever  probably. And if anyone has a science exhibit they would like to add here let me know as there is room for more.
Caro Fayray: is Nebulae and recently added Solar Winds., you can fly in  the winds, andsit  on a  sun  to view   nebulae, more  info  on all  in  notecards
snowbody Cortes: woooot
Thirza Ember: "there is no suitable surface to sit on" ... well it is a SUN after all
Caro Fayray: no  lol - the  little  ones   by  nebulas
Thirza Ember: oh my bad... now I have sunburn
Caro Fayray: that sun  is  busy  making solar winds
SUNSEAT for NEBULAE*: Welcome Caro Fayray, Sit and see the Nebulae.
Caro Fayray: I  hope we dont collide  lol, never tried with  2
Whirli Placebo: enjoying the music, Caro...
Tosha Tyran: wow
Mal Burns: wonderful education here - tempted to film every single sceen!  not everyday I get to stare into the sun lol
Thirza Ember: what inspired the pyramid shape for the galllery
Caro Fayray: mmmmm, I'm  not sure, I guess the echos were all kind  of  geographic, and  rock wasnt  a  good  one for  many   environments
thirza ember: i'd like to apologize for the volcano erupting
Lucy examines the Volcano
Caro Fayray: hehe don't  worry  it will sleep again
Lucy Afarensis: Sorry about that... I didn't do that one
Caro Fayray: haha   anyone  being  trigger  happy  in  basement  does so at their  own  risk... In the Basement is the dangerous stuff:) Chain Reaction - Physical Balls to play with - Newtons Laws of Motion - Galileo's Balls and Archimedes Density. All new.
Caro Fayray: you   need to  push  that  ball  down  the  ramp... hey  good test - it should return
Tosha Tyran: I hope
Caro Fayray: lol you've confused  it
Tosha Tyran: sorry ball...
Caro Fayray: is  great  to see  how stuff reacts... not  just  me
Thirza Ember: ouch... this is like a regular safari, stuff landing on my head the whole time
Caro Fayray: that  is  jeffs creation, was  here at start  but  in some  opensim change it went  bananas. Ubit [Ubit Umarov is opensimulator dev  had  to come and fix  it  bless  him  lol
Tosha Tyran: hehehe you look like kids at Ikea
Caro Fayray: I  hope  this  place does  bring out the  kids  in  us it does  me  for sure
Nara Nook: me too
Thirza Ember: oh boy I drownded
Caro Fayray: I  love that that  is  how  he discovered  density....taking a  bath. This  is  one  of   my  favourites, just  proving density:) I  like the   eggs  upstairs  too... pressure:)
Whirli.Placebo: interesting section
Caro Fayray: I  tried to see  how many  balls  I  could rezz  in  the  ballpen... got to  36
TOUCH TO REZ BALLS with balls: Please wait for 20 seconds defined delay before rezzing again...
Caro Fayray: Please forgive any malfunctions as I haven't quite mastered the physics bits completely but please play as it is safe, balls will poof....  so  fun can  be extreme:)
Thirza Ember: how many can sit on one ball? that's a safari question
lifted pixel: aww poof
Caro Fayray: we tried to  make them griefer  proof without  loosing  fun  time
Lucy Afarensis: Great fun
Caro Fayray: this  is  better than  I  expected:) I  gave them  2  mins, maybe should be  more
Tosha Tyran: nothing... I am all paired with Nara
[Yara Eild: Tosha :...
Tosha Tyran: eh, no with yara, sorry bout that
Star Ravenhurst: That was pure joy!
Whirli.Placebo: love your exhibit on Optical Illusions, Caro
Lucy Afarensis: That was fun
Tosha Tyran: GOALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
Mal Burns: Def NOT Galileo balls
thirza ember: I can't believe James missed the part where you get to sit on so many different things
Mal Burns: last stop of season and no sitting for james
Star Ravenhurst: This is so much fun Caro.
Yara Eild[de→en]: Hello, I'm trying
Thirza Ember: t's so absorbing
Caro Fayray: try the eggs   up a  floor too:)
Tina Bey [es→en]: Hi Caro, this is fantastic! I'm flying in the galaxy!! beautiful!!
Caro Fayray: nice tina:) simple, but appeals  to  my sense  of  humour:)
thirza ember: omg... I found the egg.... messy
snowbody Cortes: ahahah Thirza you are making a frittata
Caro Fayray: see what I  mean
lifted pixel: this is silly :3
Star and Nara get into the egg game
Caro Fayray: silly  is  good
snowbody Cortes: kill them Mal!  lool
Mal Burns: this animation should be called "temper tantrum"
Caro Fayray: you can  jump all  you  like  there   mal...they  wont  break:)
Mal Burns: gives up in frustration Caro  !
Alex Salamander [de→en]: great work here
Star Ravenhurst: This could be useful for a class, like Physics
Tosha Tyran: lol, I like your example of the guy on the bike colliding with box - woosh... off he goes
Caro Fayray: lol  yes
Thirza Ember:  well this has been a very memorable end to a very lovely year of safari trips
snowbody and Mal - it's no yoke.
Forest Azure: abso-very-lutely
Star Ravenhurst: Indeed Thirza.
Nara Nook: When does Safari come back Thirza?
Thirza Ember: January 3rd 
Nara Nook: will write that down
Thirza Ember: lots to do before then, the OSCC, and there will be all the nice christmas builds of course
Star Ravenhurst: And parties
snowbody Cortes: parties !! right Star :)
Nara Nook: true I look forward to those

 HG Address: hg.osgrid.org:80:Echo Rock

1 comment:

  1. TY so much Thirza for arranging this visit, and to all who came to play with me. It was just great to have so many people trying to break stuff....but it all behaved perfectly...What a fun evening. Thank you all!

    ReplyDelete